Audition notices are posted on our website on a regular basis. We also send out audition notices to all local newspapers, and radio stations.
Sign up for our audition list to receive information on upcoming auditions:
Please note that the auditions have been moved: They will now be in the lobby (Alumni room) NOT the annex.
The Grand Theatre, located at 1575 South State Street, Salt Lake City, will be holding auditions for "Noises Off" on Saturday, February 1, 2014. The auditions will be from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and will be held in the lobby (Alumni room) NOT the annex. Anne Stewart Mark will be directing the production and it will run May 8-24, 2014 at the Grand Theatre. Rehearsals will begin in March.
Those wishing to audition will need to call the Grand Theatre box office at (801) 957-3322 to schedule an audition time. Sides from the script will be provided for actors to read at auditions.
Download Audition Sides:
Please print "document and markup" so you can see the edits
British dialect required for all roles. Dotty and Selsdon must also do lower class (Cockney) for Mrs. Clackett and the Burglar. All roles are very physical in nature and actors must be prepared for very strenuous work. The play is required reading.
- Lloyd Dallas (male): The director of a play-within-the-play, called Nothing On. Temperamental. Part of a love triangle involving Poppy and Brooke.
- Dotty Otley/Mrs. Clackett (female): A late-middle-aged actress. Forgetful. Has a romantic interest in Garry, and provokes him by showing interest in Freddy.
- Garry Lejeune/Roger (male): A stuttering actor, easily fired up. Has a romantic interest in Dotty, and is driven by jealousy to attack Freddy repeatedly. His speech impediment disappears onstage. Constantly ends sentences with "you know..."
- Frederick (Freddy) Fellowes/Philip Brent/Sheikh (male): Has a serious fear of violence and blood. Gets nosebleeds easily. Lacks confidence and is rather dim-witted and pompous.
- Belinda Blair/Flavia Brent (female): Cheerful and sensible, a reliable actress. Has a rather protective attitude towards Freddy.
- Poppy Norton-Taylor (female): Assistant Stage Manager. Emotional and over-sensitive, and envious of Brooke, whom she understudies. Part of the Lloyd-Poppy-Brooke love triangle.
- Selsdon Mowbray/Burglar (male): Elderly and with actorly mannerisms. If he is not in sight while rehearsing, the stage crew must find him before he finds the whisky.
- Timothy Allgood (male): An over-worked Stage Manager. Understudies Selsdon and Freddy.
- Brooke Ashton/Vicki (female): A young inexperienced actress from London. She pays no attention to others, either in performance or backstage. She rarely takes direction, and persists in role regardless of any interruption. She is always losing her contact lenses. Part of the Lloyd–Poppy–Brooke love triangle.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the rehearsal process?
Typically, rehearsals last about six weeks prior to opening. Due to the complexity of everyone's schedules, rehearsals are reserved for evenings Monday through Fridays and Saturdays, during the day. Generally rehearsals are scheduled from 6:00-10:00PM weeknights, and 9:00AM-4:00PM on Saturdays.
Do I get paid?
Yes, we do offer stipends to all adult actors employed during a production. Children, under legal working age, do not receive monetary compensation, but usually receive discounted tickets for family members.
Do you hire Equity?
No, not generally. We are not an Equity Theatre, although, occasionally there is an equity contract offered under special circumstances. However, Equity actors are always encouraged to audition, as you never know what will be offered.